Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Review: The Gorillaz - Demon Days

Good morning to all present. I have recently been added by Sideath to this little blogspot here. I thought that for my first little post, I would speak about an album I just aquired.

The Gorillaz - Demon Days.

Starting off, I would just like to state that normally, I would not allow myself the thorough discomfort of listening to a rap album. But in this case, along with the recommendations of my friends, I thought I should give these primates a chance.
It certainly payed off. Although there are a few tracks on the record that are not as clear, and may I say, interesting as others on it, overall the album is worth its money.

In classic old-style record, D2 chose to start the album off with a little introductory song, with a few musical themes from Dawn of The Dead. I will not go into depth on the subject of DOTD, because frankly, it sucks.
Anyway, the album continues on with a few more tracks, which are all quite good, although a little repetitive until you come to track five, where the repetitiveness ends. This is were D2 chose to introduce his first guest rapper. The name of the track is called Dirty Harry, and along with a mix of excellent poetic rap, great bass quitar riffs, and a little of a children's choir, this song is weird enough to be quite amazing.
We go on to track eight (after tracks 6 and 7, obviously). This song is my only criticism of the album. I think that if there could be a song that should be cut from the record, it's number eight. It's repetitive as your grandmother, and it has no point whatsoever. Moving on, we seven more amazing tracks, which end with the title song Demon Days. This track is perfect to end an album with, because it combines themes from earlier in the album, and introducing newer, more experimental (if that's possible) music.

So, I would just like to declare that never have I been interested in rap. Ever. But this has certainly broadened my tastes a little. If you're into fusion rock/choral/rap/everything, you should certainly check out The Gorillaz - Demon Days. I give it an:

eight out of ten

1 Comments:

Blogger sideath said...

An extremely successful and excellent blog, Ian! Congratulations! However, in order for me to add it to the 'Reviews' section, i have edited your score to fit the CWN reviewing policy. I hope that's OK!

11/17/2005 09:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home